My Ex-Wife’s Income Has Been Cut Off: Does Child Support Increase?

If your ex-wife lost her job and you are currently paying child support, there is a chance that she could make a motion in court to have child support increased.  Of course the likelihood of this happening is dependent on a variety of different factors, including the jurisdiction of your case.  Also in question will be whether or not your ex-wife was intentionally self-discharged (quit) from her source of income, or whether she was involuntarily discharged (fired) from her source of income.  In some places either or neither of these factors will play a role, and only your legal professional can know for sure what type of situation you are looking at.

Your income and current financial situation also plays a pretty big role here in many cases, your overall income and the amount you are already paying comes into question.  In addition to this you will be looking at all of your expenses including the amount you are paying for any other child support payments.  A legal professional is only as effective as the facts their client provides them with.  Legal professionals are not going to make assumptions about facts, and they will only act based on the information they have.  The court’s concern here is always going to be the well being of the child, they are not nearly as concerned with the parents’ wants or needs.  Full disclosure of the facts to a legal professional can mean the difference between an effective and an ineffective course of action in court.

To speak to a National Family Solutions representative about a family legal matter, please click on the button below

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.